Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alex Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date: 2014-11-23 20:32:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-11-21 10:59:23 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> So, what happens when someone does "pg_ctl promote"? Somehow
> >> standby_mode needs to get set to "off". Maybe we write "standby_mode =
> >> off" to postgresql.auto.conf?
> >
> > Uhh, and then not work for the sane folks who disable
> > postgresql.auto.conf? No thanks..
>
> Other ideas then, without reverting to the old system? Being able to
> promote servers over port 5432 will be a huge advantage for
> container-based systems, so I don't want to give that up as a feature.

Why is a trigger file making that impossible? Adding the code from
pg_ctl promote into a SQL callable function is a couple minutes worth of
work?

A guc alone won't work very well - standby_mode is checked in specific
places, you can't just turn that off and expect that that'd result in
speedy promotion. And it'd break people using scripts pg_standby. And it also
has other effects.

So, no.

Greetings,

Andres Freund