Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Emanuel Calvo <3manuek(at)esdebian(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN indexes - TRAP: BadArgument
Date: 2014-11-04 00:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:

> I get a couple compiler warnings with this:
>
> brin.c: In function 'brininsert':
> brin.c:97: warning: 'tupcxt' may be used uninitialized in this function
> brin.c:98: warning: 'oldcxt' may be used uninitialized in this function

Ah, that's easily fixed. My compiler (gcc 4.9 from Debian Jessie
nowadays) doesn't complain, but I can see that it's not entirely
trivial.

> Also, I think it is missing a cat version bump. It let me start the
> patched server against an unpatched initdb run, but once started it didn't
> find the index method.

Sure, that's expected (by me at least). I'm too lazy to maintain
catversion bumps in the patch before pushing, since that generates
constant conflicts as I rebase.

> What would it take to make CLUSTER work on a brin index? Now I just added
> a btree index on the same column, clustered on that, then dropped that

Interesting question. What's the most efficient way to pack a table to
minimize the intervals covered by each index entry? One thing that
makes this project a bit easier, I think, is that CLUSTER has already
been generalized so that it supports either an indexscan or a
seqscan+sort. If anyone wants to work on this, be my guest; I'm
certainly not going to add it to the initial commit.