Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER
Date: 2014-10-28 16:16:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Kevin Grittner (kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>
> > You can still double-quote reserved words and use them in general. What
> > we're talking about here are cases where a word can't be used even if
> > it's double-quoted, and we try really hard to keep those cases at an
> > absolute minimum. We should also really be keeping a list of those
> > cases somewhere, now that I think about it..
>
> It is very important that a quoted identifier not be treated as a
> keyword. I would be very interested in seeing that list, and in
> ensuring that it doesn't get any longer.

It's object specific and not handled through the grammar, so that gets
pretty annoying. :/

The ones I could find by a quick look through backend/commands are:

roles
public
none

schemas
pg_*

operator
=> (throws a warning at least)

There may be other cases that my quick review didn't find, of course.

Thanks,

Stephen