Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, ronan(at)dunklau(dot)fr, Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
Date: 2014-10-19 17:04:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-10-19 12:38:52 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > I still think that reducing the need for having to do this is a good
> > idea, having to manually edit regression output to add regexes will be a
> > PITA.
>
> Yeah :-(.

With regard to what triggered this subthread, I still think we should
remove more irreproducible output to avoid having to do that more
often...But since I also think regexes would really be useful for other
cases, that doesn't preclude going forward with regex diffs either.

> We already have two features somewhat related to this, viz
> prototype expected files in output/ and multiple expected files. And
> each of them is a pain when it comes time to update the expected output.
> So that analogy is damping my enthusiasm a bit. Still, it beats not
> being able to make a test at all. And to the extent that we could get
> rid of variant expected files, we could eliminate a class of committer
> mistakes that's bitten pretty much everyone at one time or another...

We probably can evn get rid of a fair bit of the output/ cases. The
input files still have to be generated, but it's still less work.

Greetings,

Andres Freund