Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date: 2014-10-16 19:09:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ah, good point. Using ALTER ROLE is better. Maybe we should do ALTER
> ROLE .. [ ADD | DROP ] CAPABILITY x. That would still require making
> CAPABILITY a keyword, but it could be unreserved.

That works for me- would we change the existing role attributes to be
configurable this way and change everything over to using an int64 in
the catalog? Unless I'm having trouble counting, I think that would
actually result in the pg_authid catalog not changing in size at all
while giving us the ability to add these capabilities and something like
50 others if we had cause to.

Thanks,

Stephen