Re: Materialized views don't show up in information_schema

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Materialized views don't show up in information_schema
Date: 2014-10-16 13:45:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> On 10/10/14 8:44 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > As a comparison, what about unlogged tables? They're not normal tables
> > and they aren't defined by the SQL standard either.
>
> They are normal tables when considered within the scope of the SQL
> standard. The only difference to normal tables is their crash recovery
> behavior, which is outside the scope of the SQL standard.

Alright, coming back to this, I have to ask- how are matviews different
from views from the SQL standard's perspective? I tried looking through
the standard to figure it out (and I admit that I probably missed
something), but the only thing appears to be a statement in the standard
that (paraphrased) "functions are run with the view is queried" and that
strikes me as a relatively minor point..

I'm also curious how other databases address this.. Do none of them put
matviews into information_schema?

Thanks!

Stephen