Re: Time measurement format - more human readable

From: Bogdan Pilch <bogdan(at)matfyz(dot)cz>
To: Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time measurement format - more human readable
Date: 2014-10-01 21:18:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 9/29/14, 1:08 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >On 2014-09-28 20:32:30 -0400, Gregory Smith wrote:
> >>There are already a wide range of human readable time interval output
> >>formats available in the database; see the list at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-datetime.html#INTERVAL-STYLE-OUTPUT-TABLE
> >He's talking about psql's \timing...
>
> I got that. My point was that even though psql's timing report is
> kind of a quick thing hacked into there, if it were revised I'd
> expect two things will happen eventually:
>
> -Asking if any of the the interval conversion code can be re-used
> for this purpose, rather than adding yet another custom to one code
> path "standard".
>
> -Asking if this should really just be treated like a full interval
> instead, and then overlapping with a significant amount of that
> baggage so that you have all the existing format choices.

That's actually a good idea.
So what you're sayig is that if I come up with some nice way of
setting customized time output format, keeping the default the way it
is now, then it would be worth considering?

Now I understand why it says that a discussion is recommended before
implementing and posting. ;-)

bogdan