Re: Feature request: smarter use of conditional indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: John Siracusa <siracusa(at)mindspring(dot)com>, Postgres Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature request: smarter use of conditional indexes
Date: 2004-03-07 03:46:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org> writes:
> Just a suggestion, please use diff -c format, as it makes it easier for
> the folks who apply the patches to do so.

That's not just a suggestion ... patches that aren't in diff -c (or at
least diff -u) format will be rejected out of hand. Without the context
lines provided by these formats, applying a patch is an exercise in
risk-taking, because you can't be certain that you are applying the same
patch the submitter intended.

Personally I consider -c format the only one of the three that is
readable for reviewing purposes, so even if I weren't intending
immediate application, I'd ask for -c before looking at the patch.
There are some folks who consider -u format readable, but I'm not
one of them ...

BTW, patches really ought to go to pgsql-patches ... they're a bit
off-topic here.