Re: better atomics - v0.6

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: better atomics - v0.6
Date: 2014-09-25 22:03:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-09-24 20:27:39 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-09-24 21:19:06 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I won't repost a version with it removed, as removing a function as the
> only doesn't seem to warrant reposting it.

I've fixed (thanks Alvaro!) some minor additional issues besides the
removal and addressing earlier comments from Heikki:
* removal of two remaining non-ascii copyright signs. The only non ascii
name character that remains is Alvaro's name in the commit message.
* additional comments for STATIC_IF_INLINE/STATIC_IF_INLINE_DECLARE
* there was a leftover HAVE_GCC_INT_ATOMICS reference - it's now split
into different configure tests and thus has a different name. A later
patch entirely removes that reference, which is why I'd missed that...

Heikki has marked the patch as 'ready for commiter' in the commitfest
(conditional on his remarks being addressed) and I agree. There seems to
be little benefit in waiting further. There *definitely* will be some
platform dependant issues, but that won't change by waiting longer.

I plan to commit this quite soon unless somebody protests really
quickly.

Sorting out the issues on platforms I don't have access to based on
buildfarm feedback will take a while given how infrequent some of the
respective animals run... But that's just life.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-a-basic-atomic-ops-API-abstracting-away-platform.patch text/x-patch 110.9 KB