Re: pgcrypto: PGP signatures

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgcrypto: PGP signatures
Date: 2014-09-12 15:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Tiikkaja wrote:

> On 9/8/14 7:30 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

> >If i understand the sequence here: The current git HEAD is that
> >pgp_pub_decrypt would throw an error if given a signed and encrypted
> >message, and earlier version of your patch changed that to decrypt the
> >message and ignore the signature, and the current version went back to
> >throwing an error.
> >
> >I think I prefer the middle of those behaviors. The original behavior
> >seems like a bug to me, and I don't think we need to be backwards
> >compatible with bugs. Why should a function called "decrypt" care if the
> >message is also signed? That is not its job.
>
> I haven't updated the patch yet because I don't want to waste my
> time going back and forth until we have a consensus, but I think I
> prefer Jeff's suggestion here to make the _decrypt() functions
> ignore signatures. Does anyone else want to voice their opinion?

+1 for ignoring sigs. If somebody want to check sigs, that's a
separate step. Maybe we could have an optional boolean flag, default
false, to enable checking sigs, but that seems material for a future
patch.

That said, I do wonder if it's a behavior change with security
implications: if somebody is relying on the current behavior of throwing
an error when sigs don't match, they wouldn't be thrilled to hear that
their security checks now fail to detect a problem because we don't
verify signatures when decrypting. In other words, is this established
practice already? If not, it's okay; otherwise, hmm.