Re: Patch for psql History Display on MacOSX

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stepan Rutz <stepan(dot)rutz(at)gmx(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for psql History Display on MacOSX
Date: 2014-09-07 05:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:40:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I only tried this directly on Tiger, Snow Leopard, and Mavericks. I
> tested libedit-28 by compiling from source on a RHEL machine, so it's
> possible that there's some difference between what I tested and what
> Apple's really shipping. If anyone wants to try it on other platforms,
> feel free.

I ran libedit-history-fixes-v3.patch through my previous libedit-28 test.
Now, patched psql writes ^A for newlines in any command. Here's the new
matrix of behaviors when recalling history:

master using master-written history:
oldest command: ok
rest: ok
v3-patched using master-written history:
oldest command: ok
rest: ok
master using v3-patched-written history
oldest command: ok
rest: each broken if it contained a newline
v3-patched using v3-patched-written history
oldest command: ok
rest: ok

That's probably the same result you saw. How does it compare to the
compatibility effects for other libedit versions you tested?

> [ wanders away wondering how it is that libedit has any following
> whatsoever ... ]

Quite so.

Thanks,
nm