Enhancing pgbench parameter checking

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Enhancing pgbench parameter checking
Date: 2014-08-06 09:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

It is pretty annoying that pgbench does not check parameter which
should not be used with -i. I often type like:

pgbench -c 10 -T 300 -S -i test

and accidentally initialize pgbench database. This is pretty
uncomfortable if the database is huge since initializing huge database
takes long time. Why don't we check the case? Included is the patch to
enhance the behavior of pgbench in this regard IMO. Here is a sample
session after patching:

$ ./pgbench -c 10 -T 300 -S -i test
some parameters cannot be used in initialize mode

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan