Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C
Date: 2014-06-24 17:37:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 09:24:43AM +0000, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> pg_ctl does not pass the option anywhere but on Windows, and postmaster.c does not recognize it anywhere else. If it is encountered on a platform where it does not make sense, it will be treated like any other (unknown) long option.
>
> This is actually the weakest point of the existing patch, in my opinion. Jamming the long option handling into postmaster.c by way of #ifdef WIN32 feels wrong, but I could not figure out a better way to do it.

I liked the proposal here; was there a problem with it?
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZ3aKE4EnCTmQmZSyKC_0pjL_u4C_x47GE48uY1upBNxg@mail.gmail.com

The pg_upgrade test suite and the $(prove_check)-based test suites rely on
their pg_ctl-started postmasters receiving any console ^C. pg_ctl deserves a
--foreground or --no-background option for callers that prefer the current
behavior. That, or those tests need a new way to launch the postmaster.

--
Noah Misch