Re: recovery testing for beta

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery testing for beta
Date: 2014-05-29 19:17:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes wrote:

> One thing is that I want to find a way to drive multixact in fast forward,
> so that the freezing cycle gets a good workout. Currently I can't consume
> enough of them to make them wrap around within the time frame of a test.

IIRC I lobotomized it up by removing the XLogInsert() call. That allows
you to generate large amounts of multixacts quickly. In my laptop this
was able to do four or five wraparound cycles in two-three hours or so,
using the "burn multixact" utility here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20131231035913.GU22570@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org