Re: New timezones used in regression tests

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New timezones used in regression tests
Date: 2014-05-15 18:52:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 09:55:26AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Christoph Berg wrote:
>
> > Of course, Wikipedia has something to say about this:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars
>
> Nice.
>
> > I especially like MTC, Mars Time Coordinated. But whatever scheme gets
> > chosen, it won't be a standard 24h day, so PostgreSQL has a whole lot
> > of different problems to solve than to "fix" that little
> > Mars/Mons_Olympus gem now... :)
>
> Maybe a new type, mars_timestamptz()? Or perhaps the celestial body
> name should be part of the typmod for standard timestamptz ...?

The latter seems a good bit more extensible.

Conversions among the different timestamptzs might be problematic, as
we are currently assuming certain approximations about spacetime that
don't actually hold when we have time zones in significantly different
reference frames.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!