Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Date: 2014-05-09 15:18:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra wrote:

> So, if I get this right, the proposal is to have 7 animals:

It's your machine, so you decide what you want. I'm only throwing out
some ideas.

> 1) all branches/locales, frequent builds (every few hours)
> magpie - gcc
> fulmar - icc
> treepie - clang
>
> 2) single branch/locale, CLOBBER, built once a week
> magpie2 - gcc
> fulmar2 - icc
> treepie - clang
>
> 3) single branch/locale, recursive CLOBBER, built once a month

Check. Not those "2" names though.

> I don't particularly mind the number of animals, although I was shooting
> for lower number.

Consider that if the recursive clobber fails, we don't want that failure
to appear "diluted" among many successes of runs using the same animal
with non-recursive clobber.

> The only question is - should we use 3 animals for the recursive CLOBBER
> too? I mean, one for each compiler?

I guess it depends how likely we think that a different compiler will
change the behavior of the shared invalidation queue. Somebody else
would have to answer that. If not, then clearly we need only 5 animals.