Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date: 2014-05-09 02:18:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Kouhei Kaigai (kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com) wrote:
> I initially intended to allow extensions to add their custom-path based
> on their arbitrary decision, because the core backend cannot have
> expectation towards the behavior of custom-plan.
> However, of course, the custom-path that replaces built-in paths shall
> have compatible behavior in spite of different implementation.

I didn't ask this before but it's been on my mind for a while- how will
this work for custom data types, ala the 'geometry' type from PostGIS?
There's user-provided code that we have to execute to check equality for
those, but they're not giving us CUDA code to run to perform that
equality...

Thanks,

Stephen