Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Date: 2014-05-08 18:48:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Vondra wrote:

> Hmmmm, with CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS + CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY the tests take
> ~20h on a single branch/animal. With a single locale (e.g. "C") it would
> take ~4h, but we're testing a bunch of additional czech/slovak locales.
>
> The tests are running in sequence (magpie->treepie->fulmar) so with all
> 6 branches, this would take ~14 days to complete. I don't mind the
> machine is running tests 100% of the time, that's why it's in buildfarm,
> but I'd rather see the failures soon after the commit (and two weeks is
> well over the "soon" edge, IMHO).
>
> So I'm thinking about how to improve this. I'd like to keep the options
> for all the branches (e.g. not just HEAD, as a few other animals do).

I think doing the CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS + CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY runs in a
separate set of animals that does a single locale is enough. It's
pretty dubious that there is any point in doing the CLOBBER stuff in
multiple locales.

Perhaps run these in HEAD only once a day, and do the other branches
once a week, or something like that.

If you add a seventh animal that does the recursive clobber thingy,
running say once a month, that could be useful too. Since you have
spare CPUs, it shouldn't matter if it takes a whole week to run.

The advantage of doing this in separate animals is that you can run them
in parallel with your regular non-CLOBBER animals (which would run more
frequently.)