Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date: 2014-05-07 17:39:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> On 7 May 2014 17:43, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > It's the optimizer's job to figure out which path to pick though, based
> > on which will have the lowest cost.
>
> Of course. I'm not suggesting otherwise.
>
> >> If do you want that, you can write an Event Trigger that automatically
> >> adds a lookaside for any table.
> >
> > This sounds terribly ugly and like we're pushing optimization decisions
> > on to the user instead of just figuring out what the best answer is.
>
> I'm proposing that we use a declarative approach, just like we do when
> we say CREATE INDEX.

There's quite a few trade-offs when it comes to indexes though. I'm
trying to figure out when you wouldn't want to use a GPU, if it's
available to you and the cost model says it's faster? To me, that's
kind of like saying you want a declarative approach for when to use a
HashJoin.

> The idea is that we only consider a lookaside when a lookaside has
> been declared. Same as when we add an index, the optimizer considers
> whether to use that index. What we don't want to happen is that the
> optimizer considers a GIN plan, even when a GIN index is not
> available.

Yes, I understood your proposal- I just don't agree with it. ;)

For MatViews and/or Indexes, there are trade-offs to be had as it
relates to disk space, insert speed, etc.

Thanks,

Stephen