Re: UNION ALL on partitioned tables won't use indices.

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNION ALL on partitioned tables won't use indices.
Date: 2014-02-28 02:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:33:47PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> > If the attached patch version looks reasonable, I will commit it.
>
> The test case is completely bogus, as the query explained is significantly
> different from the query executed. I'm not sure whether you can just
> remove the extra ORDER BY column without getting machine-dependent
> results, though.

Each query tests something slightly different. The EXPLAIN verifies that we
can MergeAppend given this query structure, and the plain SELECT verifies that
any join tree contortions we made to achieve that do not change the answer.

> More generally, I'm afraid the whole approach is probably wrong, or at
> least not solving all problems in this area, because of this:
>
> > Incidentally, I tried adding an assertion that append_rel_list does not show
> > one appendrel as a direct child of another. The following query, off-topic
> > for the patch at hand, triggered that assertion:
> > SELECT 0 FROM (SELECT 0 UNION ALL SELECT 0) t0
> > UNION ALL
> > SELECT 0 FROM (SELECT 0 UNION ALL SELECT 0) t0;
>
> That's not "off topic" at all; it shows that there's not been any effort
> to date to flatten appendrel membership, and therefore this partial
> implementation is going to miss some cases. It doesn't help to merge an
> inheritance-based appendrel into its parent if the query ORDER BY is still
> a level or two above that due to UNION ALLs.

Nonetheless, I find it reasonable to accept a patch that makes
expand_inherited_tables() avoid introducing nested appendrels. Making
pull_up_subqueries() do the same can be a separate effort. There will still
be a pile of ways to stifle MergeAppend, including everything that makes
is_simple_union_all() return false. Having said that, both you and Kyotaro
sound keen to achieve an appendrel flatness invariant in a single patch. If
that's the consensus, I'm fine with bouncing this back so it can happen.

> I wonder whether we should consider adding a pass to flatten any nested
> appendrels after we're done creating them all.

We did consider that upthread. It's a valid option, but I remain more
inclined to teach pull_up_subqueries() to preserve flatness just like
expand_inherited_tables() will.

> Or alternatively, perhaps
> rather than changing the representation invariant, we need to take a
> harder look at why ordering info isn't getting pushed down through
> appendrels.

That could facilitate MergeAppend in considerably more places, such as UNION
ALL containing non-simple branches. I don't have much of a sense concerning
what such a patch would entail.

--
Noah Misch