Re: Patch: Show process IDs of processes holding a lock; show relation and tuple infos of a lock to acquire

From: Christian Kruse <christian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Patch: Show process IDs of processes holding a lock; show relation and tuple infos of a lock to acquire
Date: 2014-02-03 10:06:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 03/02/14 17:59, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Since you added errdetail_log_plural(), ISTM that you need to update
> sources.sgml.

[x] Fixed.

> >> While I'm griping, this message isn't even trying to follow the project's
> >> message style guidelines. Detail or context messages are supposed to be
> >> complete sentence(s), with capitalization and punctuation to match.
> >
> > Hm, I hope I fixed it in this version of the patch.
>
> Current message doesn't look like complete sentence yet... We would
> need to use something like "Processes X, Y are holding while Z is waiting
> for the lock.". I could not come up with good message, though..

The problem is that we have two potential plural cases in this
message. That leads to the need to formulate the second part
independently from singular/plural. I tried to improve a little bit
and propose this message:

Singular:
"The following process is holding the lock: A. The request queue
consists of: B."

Plural:
"Following processes are holding the lock: A, B. The request queue
consists of: C."

Attached you will find an updated patch.

Best regards,

--
Christian Kruse http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
show_pids_in_lock_log_v6.patch text/x-diff 7.8 KB