Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh(at)sproutloud(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date: 2014-01-22 00:02:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:23:09AM -0500, Joseph Kregloh wrote:

> Right.  I know there were multiple issue with this upgrade, jails
> probably being the biggest, but a new one I had never heard is that _if_
> you are placing your tablespaces in the PGDATA directory, and you are
> upgrading from pre-9.2, if you rename the old data directory, you also
> need to start the old server and update pg_tablespace.spclocation.
>

> Just to have it on the record. I did the upgrade outside of the jail to make
> sure. I also tested it within jails and it worked also.

OK, good to know. I thought it was the jails because I had never heard
of cross-jail upgrades, but the tablespace in PGDATA was the problem. I
will work on a way to detect this in the coming weeks. It would affect
all back branches, not just pre-9.2.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +