Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Harold Giménez <harold(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: hide application_name from other users
Date: 2014-01-21 12:12:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Craig Ringer (craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> It also means that monitoring tools must run as superuser to see
> information they require, which to me is a total showstopper.

We've already got *far* too much of that going on for my taste. I'd
love to see a comprehensive solution to this problem which allows
monitoring systems to run w/o superuser privileges.

> If you want control over visibility of application_name, it should be
> done with a column privilige granted to a system role, or something like
> that - so the ability to see it can be given to "public" on default
> (thus not breaking BC) and if it's revoked from "public", given to roles
> that need to see it.

I agree with this- individuals should be able to control access to this
information for their databases/clusters.

Thanks,

Stephen