Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning off HOT/Cleanup sometimes
Date: 2014-01-10 01:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So when somebody says "relying on vacuum instead of doing
> HOT pruning" what I hear is "flush performance down the toilet"... but
> of course the real way to resolve this is to test whatever patch Simon
> or someone else eventually posts, not to speculate without data.

I don't think anyone was seriously proposing that (certainly not with
today's VACUUM). What I've heard speculated about is doing HOT pruning
during UPDATE and/or INSERT but specifically not during SELECT. I
concur that we need data to really understand the difference, hopefully
there'll be a patch posted which we can play with.

Thanks,

Stephen