Re: reducing NUMERIC size for 9.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reducing NUMERIC size for 9.1
Date: 2010-07-29 21:35:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Did you look at the
> patch to move the numeric stuff out of the .h file that I attached a
> few emails back? If that looks OK, I can commit it and then redo the
> rest of this along the lines we've discussed.

A couple of thoughts:

* It'd be good to get NUMERIC_HDRSZ out of there too, especially since
it'll have only the shakiest connection to reality after this patch goes in.
It looks like doing that would only require modifying type_maximum_size().
I'd suggest inventing another small function along the lines of
int32 numeric_maximum_size(int32 typemod)
so that the NUMERIC-specific knowledge can be pulled out of format_type.c.

* I'd suggest leaving a comment along the lines of
/* The actual contents of Numeric are private to numeric.c */
with the now-opaque typedef for Numeric.

Otherwise +1.