Re: Time-Delayed Standbys

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time-Delayed Standbys
Date: 2013-12-04 13:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-12-04 22:47:47 +0900, Mitsumasa KONDO wrote:
> 2013/12/4 Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> When it happened, psql cannot connect standby server at all. I think this
> behavior is not good.
> It should only delay recovery position and can seen old delay table data.

That doesn't sound like a good plan - even if the clients cannot connect
yet, you can still promote the server. Just not taking delay into
consideration at that point seems like it would possibly surprise users
rather badly in situations they really cannot use such surprises.

Greetings,

Andres Freund