Re: strncpy is not a safe version of strcpy

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strncpy is not a safe version of strcpy
Date: 2013-11-15 15:48:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > I didn't argue against s/strncpy/strlcpy/. That's clearly a sensible
> > fix.
> > I am arguing about introducing additional code and error messages about
> > it, that need to be translated. And starting doing so in isolationtester
> > of all places.
>
> I agree with Andres on this. Commit
> 7cb964acb794078ef033cbf2e3a0e7670c8992a9 is the very definition of
> overkill, and I don't want to see us starting to plaster the source
> code with things like this. Converting strncpy to strlcpy seems
> appropriate --- and sufficient.

Personally, I'd like to see better handling like this- but done in a way
which minimizes impact to code and translators. A function like
namecpy() (which I agree with Kevin about- curious that it's not used..)
which handled the check, errmsg and exit seems reasonable to me, for the
"userland" binaries (and perhaps the postmaster when doing command-line
checking of, eg, -D) that need it.

Still, I'm not offering to go do it, so take my feelings on it with that
in mind. :)

Thanks,

Stephen