Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, "noloader(at)gmail(dot)com" <noloader(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results
Date: 2013-11-13 00:11:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Kevin Grittner escribió:

> These both seemed legitimate to me.  Patch attached.  Any
> objections to applying it?  I realize the memory leak is a tiny one
> in the regression testing code, so it could never amount to enough
> to matter; but it seems worth fixing just to avoid noise in code
> analyzers.

We have marked a large number of memory leak reports by Coverity in
initdb and other short-lived programs as false positive, on the grounds
that there's no point in freeing memory in a program that's about to
terminate anyway. I'm not saying I agree necessarily with that POV, but
if we take that stance then there's similarly no point in fixing this
leak in the regression test code, is there?