Re: better atomics - require PG_USE_INLINE support?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: better atomics - require PG_USE_INLINE support?
Date: 2013-11-07 17:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-11-06 17:24:57 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> Questions:
> * Do we really want to continue to cater to compilers not supporting
> PG_USE_INLINE? I've tried to add support for them, but it does make
> things considerably more #ifdef-y.
> Afaik it's only HPUX's acc that has problems, and it seems to work but
> generate warnings, so maybe that's ok?

Maybe we can simply silence that specific warning for HPUX when using
aC++ like in the attached patch? It's not like somebody really looks at
those anyway given how bleaty it is.
Or we can just generally remove the "quiet inline" check.

I haven't tested the patch since I don't have a HPUX machine but that's the option to use according to
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/aCxx/Online_Help/options.htm#opt+Wargs

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
hpux-warnings.diff text/x-diff 374 bytes