Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2013-10-10 23:35:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
On 2013-10-11 03:44:01 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> I'm afraid that the patch has only limited effects in WAL reduction and
> performance improvement unless the database contains highly-compressible
> data like large blank characters column. It really depends on the contents
> of the database. So, obviously FPW compression should not be the default.
> Maybe we can treat it as just tuning knob.

Have you tried using lz4 (or snappy) instead of pglz? There's a patch
adding it to pg in
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20130621000900.GA12425%40alap2.anarazel.de

If this really is only a benefit in scenarios with lots of such data, I
have to say I have my doubts about the benefits of the patch.

Greetings,

Andres Freund