Re: dynamic shared memory: wherein I am punished for good intentions

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic shared memory: wherein I am punished for good intentions
Date: 2013-10-10 19:39:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> (2) Default to using System V shared memory. If people want POSIX
> >> shared memory, let them change the default.
> >
> >> After some consideration, I think my vote is for option #2.
> >
> > Wouldn't that become the call of packagers?
>
> Packagers can certainly override whatever we do, but we still need to
> make the buildfarm green again.

While I agree that making the buildfarm green is valuable, I really
wonder about a system where /dev/shm is busted.

Personally, I like Andrew's suggestion to test and set accordingly, with
the default being POSIX if it's available and a fall-back to SysV (maybe
with a warning..). Going back to the situation where our default set-up
limits us to the ridiculously small SysV value would *really* suck; even
if we don't have any users today, we're certainly going to have some
soon and I don't think they'll be happy with a 24MB (or whatever) limit.

Thanks,

Stephen