Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Date: 2013-09-11 15:43:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian escribió:

> > So, are you saying you like 4x now?
>
> Here is an arugment for 3x. First, using the documented 25% of RAM, 3x
> puts our effective_cache_size as 75% of RAM, giving us no room for
> kernel, backend memory, and work_mem usage. If anything it should be
> lower than 3x, not higher.

The other argument I see for the 3x value is that it is a compromise.
People with really large servers will want to increase it; people with
very small servers will want to reduce it.

> Finally, for those who like the idea of 4x, you can think of
> shared_buffers (1x) + effective_cache_size (3x) as totalling 4x.

This part of your argument doesn't work really, because AFAIR the
effective_cache_size value ought to consider that shared_buffers is part
of it (so e_c_s is shared_buffers + kernel cache). So if you're seeing
the 4x as e_c_s + s_b, you would be counting s_b twice.