Re: CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW .. FOR UPDATE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW .. FOR UPDATE
Date: 2013-08-02 17:56:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just realized I mixed two different (but related) cases in my previous
email:

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Does the combination in $SUBJECT make sense? It is currently allowed,
> but of course the underlying locks only last while the creating
> transaction is open, and they are reacquired during a refresh.

This paragraph is talking about a FOR UPDATE clause in the CREATE
MATERIALIZED VIEW command, as in the email subject.

> Somewhat related is that the error message they emit is a bit
> nonstandard:
>
> cannot lock rows in materialized view \"%s\"

This other paragraph, and everything below it, is talking about a
SELECT .. FROM matview FOR UPDATE
command.