Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)
Date: 2013-06-21 02:39:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

MauMau escribió:
> From: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>

> One concern is that umount would fail in such a situation because
> postgres has some open files on the filesystem, which is on the
> shared disk in case of traditional HA cluster.

See my reply to Noah. If postmaster stays around, would this be any
different? I don't think so.

> >IIRC the only other interesting tweak I did was rename the
> >SignalAllChildren() function to TerminateChildren(). I did this because
> >it doesn't really signal all children; syslogger and dead_end backends
> >are kept around. So the original name was a bit misleading. And we
> >couldn't really name it SignalAlmostAllChildren(), could we ..
>
> I see. thank you.

Actually, in further testing I noticed that the fast-path you introduced
in BackendCleanup (or was it HandleChildCrash?) in the immediate
shutdown case caused postmaster to fail to clean up properly after
sending the SIGKILL signal, so I had to remove that as well. Was there
any reason for that?