Re: Cost of opening and closing an empty transaction

From: Ross Reedstrom <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Jon Leighton <j(at)jonathanleighton(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cost of opening and closing an empty transaction
Date: 2013-05-21 15:22:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

N.B. I realize this is an ancient email, but there's a significant issue that
didn't get raised. Opening a transaction and leaving it idle can be a major
pain on a MVCC database like PostgreSQL. The reason is that this is the
dreaded 'idle in transaction' state. If these tranactions become long lived
(waiting for a form submit, etc.) they can easily become oldest transaction in
the cluster, forcing the system to keep data for snapshots that far back. I'm
not an Oracle expert, but I understand this is an issue there as well, since
they have to keep replay logs to recreate that state as well. So besides the
wasted round trips, the issue of idle open transactions can be significant.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D. reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist phone: 713-348-6166