Re: Logging of PAM Authentication Failure

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging of PAM Authentication Failure
Date: 2013-05-14 01:38:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In fact, this is the behavior with all the authentication methods that
> require a password. But, it is only in the case of PAM authentication
> that auth_failed() logs error when first connection attempt is made
> (without password), since the STATUS_EOF is not passed to it in that
> case.

Well, if we are allowed to use a bit ugry way, the attached patch
seems to cope with this issue. As far as I can see there's no
problem since pg_fe_sendauth() refueses to send empty password.

Any suggestions?

> If we did not drop the connection (unlike what we do now) and
> re-attempted connection with the password added to conn, would the
> backend's authentication state still be waiting for the password? Can
> we do away without having to create a second connection?

Sorry, I've read there incorrectly. I had understood the code
after sendAuthRequest in pam_passwd_conv_proc but it is used
indeed.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi