Re: pg_dump --snapshot

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --snapshot
Date: 2013-05-07 17:12:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-05-07 16:50:52 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> What's the worst case for using an old snapshot? If I try to access a
> table that doesn't exist any longer I'll get an error. That doesn't
> really seem that bad for the use case I described. It's worse for the
> full table dump but for an explicit list of tables, eh. Seems ok to
> me.

Its worth than that, you can get a dump that dumps successfully but
doesn't restore:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20130507141526.GA6117%40awork2.anarazel.de

But that's not really related to snapshots. And not related to the
patch. Imo the whole focus on the time between snapshot taking and
taking the locks is a misguided and not really the problem.

Greetings,

Andres Freund