Re: pg_dump --snapshot

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --snapshot
Date: 2013-05-06 18:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andres Freund (andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Its rather useful if you e.g. want to instantiate a new replica without
> rebuilding pg_dump/pg_restore's capabilities wrt. ordering, parallelism,
> separating initial data load from index creation and all that. Which
> already has been incompletely reinvented by several solutions :(.

Perhaps it's just a wording thing, but I wouldn't use the term "replica"
when referring to something built with pg_dump/restore- that should
really be reserved for a slave system created through replication.

> So besides the above and real problems you point out this seems
> worthwile to me...

It certainly sounds interesting and I like the idea of it, but perhaps
we need a different mechanism than just passing in a raw snapshot, to
address the concerns that Tom raised.

Thanks,

Stephen