Re: Remaining beta blockers

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remaining beta blockers
Date: 2013-05-04 16:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:19:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 03:04:33AM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > > Yes, I think the big question is how much information do we want per
> > > relation that we don't need in the system tables.
> >
> > It's not that we don't need it in the system tables. It's that there's
> > some state that we *can't* have in the system tables because we need
> > it to be accessible without access to the catalog or we need to be
> > able to change it on a standby.
> >
> > But note that this all sounds very similar to the global temp table
> > discussion a while ago. I think we're gong to need some infrastructure
> > for table state that isn't transactional and it will make sense to
> > solve that with something general that we can then depend on for lots
> > of things. If I had to guess it would look more like a cached copy of
> > the pg_class row or the whole relcache entry rather than an entirely
> > independent structure.
>
> Well, the big question is whether this state _eventually_ will need to
> be accessible from SQL, so we might as well add code to allow crash
> recovery to write to system tables.
>
> Things like how fresh the materialized view is certainly should be
> accessible via SQL and transactional.

OK, how are we for bata packaging on Monday? I don't see how we can do
that until we decide on how to handle unlogged materialized views.

Can someone summarize what we have considered for a meta-page as the
first page in the past? Have they always been things we couldn't
recording in the catalogs, or things we didn't want in the catalogs,
e.g. visibility/hint bits?

If we would eventually want the materialized information in the system
catalogs rather than on the first heap page, or recorded as the size of
the help file, I suggest we just remove anything that depends on it and
move to beta.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com