Re: Recovery target 'immediate'

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Recovery target 'immediate'
Date: 2013-05-03 15:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le vendredi 3 mai 2013 15:40:51, Heikki Linnakangas a écrit :

> >> We just need to add a named restore point when ending the backup (in
> >> pg_stop_backup() ?).
> >> No API change required. Just document that some predefined target names
> >> are set during backup.
> >
> > So we auto-add a restore point based on the backup label. Does that
> > work for everyone?
>
> Unfortunately, no. There are cases where you want to stop right after
> reaching consistency, but the point where you reach consistency is not
> at the end of a backup. For example, if you take a backup using an
> atomic filesystem snapshot, there are no pg_start/stop_backup calls, and
> the system will reach consistency after replaying all the WAL in
> pg_xlog. You might think that you can just not create a recovery.conf
> file in that case, or create a dummy recovery.conf file with
> restore_command='/bin/false'. However, then the system will not find the
> existing timeline history files in the archive, and can pick a TLI
> that's already in use. I found this out the hard way, and actually ended
> up writing a restore_command that restore timeline history files
> normally, but returns non-zero for any real other files; it wasn't pretty.

OK. I missed that you wanted that outside of pg_start/stop_backup() dance.

> If we want to avoid adding a new option for this, how about a magic
> restore point called "consistent" or "immediate":
>
> recovery_target_name='immediate'
>
> That would stop recovery right after reaching consistency, but there
> wouldn't be an actual restore point record in the WAL stream.

Back to your first email then.
+1 (as pointed by Simon, this is something we must document well: stopping at
'immediate' is sure to reduce your chance of recovering all the possible data
... opposite to recovery_target_name=ultimate, the default ;) )

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/