Re: Temporal features in PostgreSQL

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru>, Miroslav Šimulčík <simulcik(dot)miro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Temporal features in PostgreSQL
Date: 2013-02-15 13:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm also interested in this topic.

> > I'm also interested in this topic and work on system-time temporal
> > extension. Here I wrote down design of my solution few months ago
> > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL2011Temporal. The idea is
> > basically the same as in your solution with some minor differences.

I've added a requirement in the system here: the table to be versioned
must have a PK (I dislike _entry_id usage but this sounds good othwise).
I then define a "EXCLUDE WITH GIST (pk with =, sys_period with &&)", thus
getting expected UNIQUEness also in the history.

Vlad, is your source code in a public versionning system (github, bucket, etc) ?
It will ease the process to participate to your extension...

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/