Re: [RFC] ideas for a new Python DBAPI driver (was Re: libpq test suite)

From: Andrew McNamara <andrewm(at)object-craft(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Manlio Perillo <manlio(dot)perillo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ideas for a new Python DBAPI driver (was Re: libpq test suite)
Date: 2013-02-15 01:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>For my Python DBAPI2 PostgreSQL driver I plan the following optimizations:

I suggest you have a look at my Python ocpgdb driver:

http://code.google.com/p/ocpgdb/

It uses the v3 binary protocol exclusively (to avoid the usual escaping
security issues). A number of gotchyas were discovered along the way -
in particular, you must be a lot more careful about types (as you note
in a later reply). There were also some issues with the v3 protocol,
most of which have been fixed now.

ocpgdb does not implement everything, just the bits I needed. That said,
other people/projects are using it in production, and it's proven to be
fast and stable.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/