Re: split rm_name and rm_desc out of rmgr.c

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split rm_name and rm_desc out of rmgr.c
Date: 2013-02-05 16:37:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Couldn't we do something similar to the design for SQL keyword constants,
> wherein the actual data is in macros in a header file (providing exactly
> one source of truth for each RM) and then various .c files can #include
> that after #defining the macro as they need?

Here are two patches implementing this idea. The first one is simpler
and just replaces the table in rmgr.c with an appropriate PG_RMGR
define.

The second one touches rmgr.h as well. That file currently has a list
of #defines with symbolic rmgr names and their numeric IDs. The
approach in the second patch is to turn these into "extern const RmgrId"
instead, and use a second inclusion of rmgrlist.h in rmgr.c that assigns
them the values as consts. This has the disadvantage that the array
size RM_MAX_ID cannot use the symbolic RM_SPGIST_ID value, but instead
it needs a literal "16". Otherwise the compile complains:
error: variably modified ‘RmgrTable’ at file scope

I am not too sure about that second change. However, I'm a bit uneasy
about leaving a second list of rmgrs around; since we're creating what
should be the canonical list of rmgrs, it makes sense to reduce the two
copies we have. Better ideas for that second list are welcome.

Attachment Content-Type Size
split-rm_desc-3.patch text/x-diff 3.6 KB
split-rm_desc-3a.patch text/x-diff 5.4 KB