Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)
Date: 2013-01-16 13:58:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs escribió:
> On 16 January 2013 08:21, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > At 2013-01-16 02:07:29 -0500, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us wrote:
> >>
> >> In case you hadn't noticed, we've totally lost control of
> >> the CF process.
> >
> > What can we do to get it back on track?
>
> "Totally lost control" is an overstatement. The current situation is
> that there are clearly more patches than people working on them; a
> situation that we've been in, with various degrees for all of the last
> 9 years of my involvement with PostgreSQL.
>
> AFAIK there was no CF manager assigned to Nov2012 CF, so not
> surprising it is off track. Not sure we ever agreed a process for
> assigning CF mgrs, so again, not surprising it is off track.

FWIW, the September 2012 commitfest also went without a manager *for a
month*. I started doing the job at that point because it was pretty
clear to me that there was a serious problem. And when I finally closed
it (just before the Nov. 2012 one was about to start), it was my
intention to manage the next one as well; however somebody else told me
they wanted that job, so I stepped aside. That was, probably, a bad
decision on my part, and I blame myself for not keeping a closer eye on
things that I intuitively knew were going wrong.

> I would like to nominate Craig Ringer to be independent CF mgr for Jan2013 CF.

Seconded. I particularly like the fact that Craig is not already a PG
developer, so he's not going to be working on his own patches.