Re: Parallel query execution

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parallel query execution
Date: 2013-01-16 04:48:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian escribió:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:28:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Claudio, Stephen,
> >
> > It really seems like the areas where we could get the most "bang for the
> > buck" in parallelism would be:
> >
> > 1. Parallel sort
> > 2. Parallel aggregation (for commutative aggregates)
> > 3. Parallel nested loop join (especially for expression joins, like GIS)
> >
> > parallel data load? :/
>
> We have that in pg_restore, and I thinnk we are getting parallel dump in
> 9.3, right? Unfortunately, I don't see it in the last 9.3 commit-fest.
> Is it still being worked on?

It's in the previous-to-last commitfest. IIRC that patch required
review and testing from people with some Windows background.

There are still 34 items needing attention in CF3. I suggest that, if
you have some spare time, your help would be very much appreciated
there. The commitfest that started on Jan 15th has 65 extra items.
Anything currently listed in CF3 can rightfully be considered to be part
of CF4, too.