Re: logical changeset generation v4

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logical changeset generation v4
Date: 2013-01-15 04:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:

I've been giving a couple of these parts a look. In particular

> [03] Split out xlog reading into its own module called xlogreader

Cleaned this one up a bit last week. I will polish it some more,
publish for some final comments, and commit.

> [08] wal_decoding: Introduce InvalidCommandId and declare that to be the new maximum for CommandCounterIncrement

This seems reasonable. Mainly it has the effect that a transaction can
have exactly one less command than before. I don't think this is a
problem for anyone in practice.

> [09] Adjust all *Satisfies routines to take a HeapTuple instead of a HeapTupleHeader

Seemed okay when I looked at it.

> Second, I don't think the test_logical_replication functions should live
> in core as they shouldn't be used for a production replication scenario
> (causes longrunning transactions, requires polling) , but I have failed
> to find a neat way to include a contrib extension in the plain
> regression tests.

I think this would work if you make a "stamp" file in the contrib
module, similar to how doc/src/sgml uses those.