Re: Extra XLOG in Checkpoint for StandbySnapshot

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Simon Riggs' <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extra XLOG in Checkpoint for StandbySnapshot
Date: 2013-01-08 15:27:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-01-08 20:33:28 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:01 PM Andres Freund wrote:

> > LogStandbySnapshot as

> > transaction

> > that
> > since

> > "all
> > avoided in

> > you
> > won't
> > >
> > > Can't we make sure that checkpoint operation doesn't happen for below
> > conds.
> > > a. nothing has happened during or after last checkpoint
> > > OR
> > > b. nothing except snapshotstanby WAL has happened
> > >
> > > Currently it is done for point a.

> > running
> > >
> > > Simon:
> > premise.
> > >
> > > Not sure, what exact you are expecting from test?
> > > The test is do any one operation on system and then keep the system
> > idle.
> > > Now at each checkpoint interval, it logs WAL for SnapshotStandby.
> >
> > I can't really follow what you want to do here. The snapshot is only
> > logged if a checkpoint is performed anyway? As recovery starts at (the
> > logical) checkpoint's location we need to log a snapshot exactly
> > there. If you want to avoid activity when the system is idle you need
> > prevent checkpoints from occurring itself.
>
> Even if the checkpoint is scheduled, it doesn't perform actual operation if
> there's nothing logged between
> current and previous checkpoint due to below check in CreateCheckPoint()
> function.
> if (curInsert == ControlFile->checkPoint +
> MAXALIGN(SizeOfXLogRecord + sizeof(CheckPoint)) &&
> ControlFile->checkPoint ==
> ControlFile->checkPointCopy.redo)
>
> But if we set the wal_level as hot_standby, it will log snapshot, now next
> time again when function CreateCheckPoint()
> will get called due to scheduled checkpoint, the above check will fail and
> it will again log snapshot, so this will continue, even if the system is
> totally idle.
> I understand that it doesn't cause any problem, but I think it is better if
> the repeated log of snapshot in this scenario can be avoided.

ISTM in that case you "just" need a way to cope with the additionally
logged record in the above piece of code. Not logging seems to be the
entirely wrong way to go at this.
I admit its not totally simple, but making HS less predictable seems
like a cure *far* worse than the disease.

Greetings,

Andres Freund