Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Date: 2013-01-03 02:01:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > A shared table for event triggers sounds like it would be the far easier
> > solution (9.4+ that is).
>
> The problem is that the event trigger table is a just a pointer to a
> function, and there's no procedure OID to store in that shared catalog
> unless you also have a proposal for making pg_proc into a shared
> catalog ... which would also require making pg_language into a shared
> catalog, and maybe a few others.

This was why I was suggesting that there be a single database in which
the events would actually fire and that's where the function itself
would also be stored. The information to pass to the function would
have to be collected and represented logically from the calling
database, of course, and it wouldn't be possible to make changes in the
database where the modification happened without using something like
dblink, but I could still see there being a lot of good use cases for
such a thing.

All pie-in-the-sky currently though, of course, but that's along the
lines of what I was thinking.

Thanks,

Stephen