Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Date: 2012-12-10 13:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Noah Misch (noah(at)leadboat(dot)com) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 06:51:18PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Now, what I've honestly been hoping for on this thread was for someone
> > to speak up and point out why I'm wrong about this concern and explain
> > how this patch addresses that issue. If that's been done, I've missed
> > it..

[...]

So, apparently I'm not wrong about my concern, but no one seems to share
my feelings on this change.

I continue to hold that this could end up being a slippery slope for us
to go down wrt 'correctness' vs. 'do whatever the user wants'. If we
keep this to only COPY and where the table has to be truncated/created
in the same transaction (which requires the user to have sufficient
privileges to do non-MVCC-safe things on the table already), perhaps
it's alright. It'll definitely reduce the interest in finding a real
solution though, which is unfortunate.

Thanks,

Stephen