Re: Migrate Posgresql 8.0.0 beta 5

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "Rogelio Monter" <rmonter(at)magnabyte(dot)com(dot)mx>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrate Posgresql 8.0.0 beta 5
Date: 2012-12-08 17:00:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rogelio Monter wrote:

> In my company, we're using Postgresql 8.0.0 beta 5 since the
> company started to implement databases.

> Win 2000 Server

Version 8.0 is years out of support, support for it and 8.1 on
Windows was dropped years earlier than for other platforms because
there were problems with the Windows implementation which weren't
solved until 8.2. We never recommend using a beta test version in
production.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

The version to look at moving to now would be 9.1 or 9.2.

> A co-worker said that he couldn't migrate from this version to a
> newer onw because it use a datatype that doesn't exist anymore.

I'm not personally aware of any datatype being dropped.

> how i can upgrade this database to a newer one

Install the new software in a different directory (or an a
different machine) from the old 8.0.0 beta test software.  Use
pg_dump from the new software to dump the old database and load a
new database. Test for issues before making it live in production.

Do it soon; the version you are using is not meant for production,
and it would not be surprising if it ate your data. Also, make sure
you are taking frequent backups and keeping several generations of
them.

Future postings on the topic should be on the pgsql-general list;
this list is for bug reports.

-Kevin